Server-Side Software Engineer
We founded Wonder Workshop with one mission: to make coding fun and accessible for every child. We're looking for a Server-Side Software Engineer to come join our team and help build out our core backend services.
At Wonder Workshop, your role will include:
- Creating new services that plug into our existing microservices architecture.
- Improving the scalability and maintainability of our current platform.
- Building integration endpoints for mobile apps, robot firmware and website API calls.
- Advancing our dev-ops system to achieve high availability and fault-tolerance across different geo-locations around the world.
To succeed at here, you will need to have the following:
- You've built and ran rock-solid production systems at scale.
- You understand the challenge of building scalable, fault-tolerant cloud systems.
- Expertise at working with Scala, in particular with the Play Framework and Akka actors.
- In-depth understanding and experience working with the JVM.
- You care about and take ownership of code quality and maintainability of your software.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, or equivalent.
Our ideal candidate might also:
- Be well versed in functional programming principles; you know what it means to compose logic via functors and monads.
- Know their way around AWS.
- Have more than 5 years of experience working in the industry.
You’ll join an amazingly passionate team at the very top of their respective fields, dedicated to having fun, educating children, user experience, and (of course) robots! We offer industry-leading compensation plus great perks like daily catered lunches. Apply now or contact us if you’re interested in learning more.
About Wonder Workshop:
We are passionate parents, technologists, kids-at-heart, builders, tinkerers, foodies, teachers, researchers, and fun-loving people, all driven and inspired by the potential of each and every child.
We are a small team on a big mission to bring learning and laughter to children around the world. We believe that every child should be empowered to question, think, and create. We want to encourage them to be curious and to find their own joy in learning. Coding enables creativity and agency in this new world. By learning to code, they are becoming shapers of their own world.
Why work with us?
- We enjoy immense satisfaction in our work by bringing CS education to little ones
- We’re solving tough technical challenges in creating a learning platform. We have electro-mechanical, firmware, and software along with apps and games. Stir all of it together and make the UI so simple a 5 year old can use it. Sound fun? Good.
- We’ve got vision - our friendly robots, Dash and Dot, are the first in a series of many interactive robot friends geared toward learning
- We embrace tangible computing combined with an open world theory which makes play a powerful teacher for computer science fundamentals – we think this is cool
- We’re off to a great start! We’re well funded, just shipped our first 20k units, are getting rave reviews, and recently made it all the way to the White House (bit.ly/1qvLoZz)!
If you’d rather be playing with robots, apply now or find out more at www.makewonder.com